Tuesday 5 March 2013

Some things

Got a few things to post about today, such as music, meta, and more meta.
But to whet your tastebuds before all the meta I'll say right now that we'll be taking a look at two very nice jazz albums - links at the bottom of the post. There'll also be discussion on where to take this blog and all that boring nonsense. I'll also be experimenting with page breaks, and we'll see how that goes after the break.
My guess is that it went pretty well.

So, without further babbling;

meta #1: Thanks!

 I figured that the general reaction to me making a blog (even one to talk about music) would be something between 'ugh' and putting a fist through the screen and sending me the bill.
However, here's how things look not even 48 hours after creation: 
And the influx from the upcoming stream hasn't even hit yet!
And this is how things look after the stream
I know the true test is to see how things look over time, but still. Let me be flattered here.
Hopefully I can provide all of you with a reason to keep coming back, and to that end:

meta #2: What the hell am I doing here?

The purpose of this blog is for me to get music out to you, the listener and reader. So, you gotta let me know as things go along. What do you want to see more or less of? Do you want me to do an in depth article on something in particular? Does the page look like garbage/need anything? I've enabled anonymous commenting, so by all means let me know. The success of this blog will be due in part to the efforts of the reader, so please don't hesitate to throw your 2JPY in.

I think that's all the meta I have to get through for now.

Now for music.


The first of two albums, the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra's 1990 debut 'Groove Shop' is a very accessible bebop album. Running for 52½ minutes it's mostly very upbeat (probably even classifiable as hard-bop - but that's a distinction I don't profess to be able to make with any certainty), with some slow, emotional numbers like 'Melt Away-A Time For Love' mixed in as well. My guess is that if you like Art Blakey's Moanin' and the big band sound, then this album will meet you at both stops and buy you lunch.




The second, not really a 'discovery' of any sort but I've been giving it a few more proper listens recently among Davis' other stuff and it really stands out to me. One often sees Bitches Brew, Sketches of Spain, and especially Kind of Blue - but the album which brought one of the more famous standards to wide attention gets little mention as far as I've observed. Miles Davis' 1961 Someday My Prince Will Come runs roughly 43 minutes and marked the departure of Adderley and Coltrane - to be replaced by Hank Mobley, whose presence in the album is very noticeable (in the best kind of way). I've not much else to say - the album's a classic and people far more knowledgeable than I have said far more things about it. It's still a must-listen.

Groove Shop (MP3 V0)
Someday My Prince Will Come (MP3 V0)

4:54 06/03/13 edit: Just woke up to find mediafire is being a slut. I'll fix this soon.

6:30 06/03/13 edit: Links have been updated, the files are now .7z with encrypted filenames. Password is Eggmun

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reggomendations.
    Reggaemendations.

    When's reggae?

    Would be pretty sweet to see a post on your listening and/or broadcasting setup as well.
    Enjoying the downloads. Repent for your sins.
    >blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dig your album recommendations.
    This platform let's you say a bit more than on twitter, and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete