Tuesday 10 September 2013

Post-rock

                                               
In case it wasn't already obvious, the one post per week goal was perhaps a bit ambitious. Nonetheless, please keep checking often, and don't forget to suggest genres and albums in the comments section - it definitely helps us with keeping this blog updated! Also let us know if you'd rather see more, shorter posts, or fewer and more in depth posts. Just feedback in general is handy.

Now, let's get started on post-rock, with some wildly different albums.




                          

Lawrell: To be frank, I am not well-versed into post-rock at all. However, its general definition being that it is music using rock instruments in a way that makes said music sound like something else entirely, I had no difficulty at all listening to Special Others' Quest. Although you could argue that they are just a mostly instrumental indie rock band, their rhythms and song structures are definitely influenced by post-rock: the songs often have some kind of a repetitive musical motif (which is not necessarily bad) a buildup accompanied with subtle changes to aforementioned motif, and a climax. While "Laurentech" typically uses these elements, "Ubiquitous" showcases all of the musicians' skills in its climax. The way they play is fun and playful, but it is never chaotic nor bland. Every player has its shining moment in their respective solos, which is slightly influenced by jazz in the sense that they spontaneously, yet smoothly, almost effortlessly enter soloing mode. As I've mentioned, they are a mostly instrumental band, but when they actually do sing, it's rather hard to understand what they say - which is okay, because it's not really supposed to mean anything, it's simply there to add to the music without weighing down the song too much. Overall, a very charming and catchy little band. Make sure you also listen to Good Morning, their first LP. Listen to this band on a sunny day, and you might just find yourself humming their songs with a smile plastered to your face.

Quest

Eggmun: I'm no authority on post-rock, but I've heard a smattering from various bands so I wouldn't say I know nothing of the genre - I'm just no expert and I shan't deny that at all. Nonethless, Mono's Hymn to the Immortal Wind is magnificent. It's one of those albums you absolutely must devote some time to listen to the whole thing. For me, it was my flight back home from Japan earlier this year, which went so perfectly with quiet reflection. Listening to this album start to finish is a real pleasure, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Bonus album: Kinoko Teikoku's album 'Uzuninaru' (きのこ帝国 - 渦になる) is pretty neat, I've been listening to it a lot. I wouldn't consider it anywhere near Hymn to the Immortal Wind, hence 'bonus'.

Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Uzuninaru

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. The Calm Blue Sea's album with the same name isn't half bad. In particular the first track, We Happy Few, 'cause it's a bit more... diverse, not the stereotypical silent->loud buildup so common in post-rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing about post-rock after I asked for it.
    The big one for me, in this post, was Uzuninaru. I have listened it to bits since this post came out. It's so emotionally charged.

    I would always like to recommend some Toe when post-rock is brought up (even though it is heavily influenced by math rock). Toe is probably not new for those who have had the pleasure to listen to Oru's streams from time to time, but I'll recommend it nevertheless just because I think it's so fucking nifty.

    Kudos to the anon that mentioned The Calm blue Sea which also was an astounding listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I stand somewhat with in-depth posts, but if you get a writers block or something just posting anything at all is also nice. After all it always was nice when Eggmun posted something new on his twitter, because you went into it knowing nothing more than "this is great, listen to it".

      Basically both things can be done good and both things can be done bad. Maybe trying to stick with only one type is not good?

      >inb4 "Of course we weren't thinking of having an ultimatum between in-depth or more frequent posts."

      Delete
  3. Can you put up the Graveyard Train album "Hollow" on your mf?

    ReplyDelete