Friday 26 April 2013

Eggmun's guide to popular music

I can just tell this is a bad idea, but I thought I might try and enlighten you folks to some music that's decently popular (i.e gets actual radio play) and doesn't sound like bass drops and tortured felines, or any of the other several things that are plaguing a large portion of mainstream music these days. I'm not saying that these albums are particularly incredible or anything (though I obviously do think they are good enough to warrant this post), but if you're looking for some common ground for conversation with your normal co-workers or you're just interested but too distant or whatever, then do give this post a read! I'll keep updating† this over time, adding new albums and whatnot.
† Don't hold your breath.

PS, I'm sorry for being so shit at updating. I still love you guys.


I'll sort this by genre, so that this post is nice and modular and easy to update.
† Don't hold your breath.


Dreampop

So this stuff is pretty neat. If I were to describe I'd say it's a kind of pop rock without any of the urgency - as the name implies, it's just sort of dreamy. Catchy and (generally) upbeat but never too much of either.

The xx - xx
Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
MS MR (two mini albums)

Faux Folk

I mean, it's sort of folk I guess. But it's too pop for folk. I find that this sort of thing generally lacks a lot of the soul that proper folk music has, but it's still fun to listen to. If you're looking to get into actual folk music, these might help to break you in.

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
Of Monsters & Men - My Head is an Animal

I don't know

Post in the comments and help an Egg out. I can't actually think of anything else I've heard on the radio that isn't total garbage.

Password for the 7z's is 'Eggmun', as always. Mind the capital.

5 comments:

  1. The Lumineers have been all over the radio (and youtube ads) lately.

    That being said, if stuff like that dreampop is popular I might actually listen to the radio more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be warned, this may very well vary from station to station, and country to country. I offer no guarantees and assume no liability if listening to the actual radio causes you to skewer your eardrums.

      Delete
  2. I don't listen to the radio but I have listened to a few albums from this year. So far I like James Blake's new album "Overgrown", MBV's "M B V" and the tribute album "Yellow Loveless". Queens Of The Stone Age released a single earlier this month and DF DOOM one last night but I wouldn't call them popular. Tyler, The Creator however is more popular. He had one good song from his album Wolf namely "IFHY". Give it a listen.

    Daft Punk's new album is one of the most anticipated albums of the year. From what I have heard from Get Lucky, I can safely say that it sounds promising. That will be without doubt an album you can discuss with your co-worker and alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look at some of those, though I heard a James Blake album a year or so ago and it didn't particularly grab me.

      As for RAM, I sure as hell can't wait. Get Lucky makes it sound really promising, eye am excite.

      Delete
    2. To make the list shorter here's my favorite tracks from the albums: James Blake - Retrograde( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6PcFFUm5I ) and Every Day I Ran. But the later leans more towards house music.

      Boris - Sometimes ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPNDv46ehA ) Shoegaze, not for everyone.

      I almost forgot Coheed And Cambria's "The Afterman - Descension". A really good prog album. They are popular.

      Coheed & Cambria - The Hard Sell ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiI045jrlUA ). If you liked that then check out Number City.

      Hope I could be of any help.

      Delete